Por15 Rust Preventive Coating
Por15 Rust Preventative Permanent Coating
POR15 is a high-tech, high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. It dries to an incredible rock-hard, non-porous finish that won't chip, crack, or peel, and it prevents rust from recurring by protecting metal from further exposure to moisture. Use it to coat rusty frames, floor pans, farm equipment, marine equipment, or even a heavily corroded battery tray. POR-15® is sensitive to UV light (sun) and must be top coated for prolonged exposure to sunlight. Top coating is not required for areas not exposed to sunlight.
- 1 Qt covers 96 sq. ft. / 1 liter covers 9.2 M2
- Double the solid content of most paints
- Compatible with all paint systems
- Tested to over 450°F / 232°C
- Exceeds 2000 hours salt spray test
- Dries faster in humid conditions
- Self leveling
- Hammer tough
- Repels all fuels and oils
- Resistant to most acids and alkalis
POR-15 is a rust preventive coating designed for direct application over clean, grease free rusty surfaces, as well as concrete, wood, fiberglass etc. It dries to a rock hard, nonporous finish that won't crack, chip or peel and resists temperatures of up to 700 degrees Fahrenheit. It prevents further rusting by creating a non-porous barrier between metal and moisture. It can be used in any application where a permanent rust free finish is desired. It is unlike any other paint or coating you may have used in the past so please take the time to read these instructions carefully before proceeding.
1. Washing: All surfaces to be painted must be absolutely clean and grease free. Washing with a water-based degreaser such as Marine Clean followed by a heavy rinsing with clear water is necessary to insure a clean surface. The use of a water-based product is important so as to avoid the possibility of a solvent film or residue, which will impede the adherence of POR-15. At this point all loose materiel and scabs, or multiple layers of rust must be removed. Any moisture trapped within these multiple layers of oxidation will cause rusting later on.
Marine Clean is packaged in a concentrated form and must be diluted with water. A minimum ratio of 1:1 is necessary. It may be diluted up to 10 parts water to 1 part cleaner depending on the amount of dirt or grime to be removed. It may be diluted even further and used as a household cleaner on walls, floors, counter tops or as a pre-wash on grease stained clothing. Apply Marine Clean with a spray bottle or brush and allow it to soak before rinsing. If Marine Clean appears to dry too quickly, add more water. Repeat as necessary until parts are perfectly clean. A scouring pad may be used on heavily soiled areas. Complete drying is not necessary before proceeding with Metal-Ready. Simply allow several hours for excess water to drip off.
2. Etching: Metal-Ready is a phosphoric based acid etch that is applied at full strength after degreasing to temporarily neutralize rust and leave a coating of zinc phosphate which will aid in the adhesion of paint. This is especially important on areas that contain new metal and/or welds. It should remain wet for a minimum of twenty minutes before rinsing with clear water. Scuffing surfaces while rinsing will insure an even higher level of adhesion. If it is not possible or convenient to rinse with a water hose it is acceptable to remove all excess Metal Ready with a clean sponge and fresh water. At this point the surfaces to be painted must be allowed to dry completely. This means bone dry. If moisture is trapped beneath the surface of the paint, oxidation will occur. Metal-Ready can also be used as a complete rust remover if left in contact with the metal for a longer period of time. Soaking parts in a non-metallic container of Metal-Ready for 24-48 hours will completely remove all rust and prepare the surfaces for paint. Exterior body panels can be made rust free with the use of a scuff pad and Metal-Ready.
3. POR-15 can be applied by brush at full strength or diluted a maximum of 5% with Por Solvent only, before spraying. It should be stirred and not shaken before each use. Regardless of what method you choose, POR-15 will dry to a completely smooth finish leaving no brush marks. It is recommended to dilute as little as possible in order to retain the full strength of the paint. An exact dilution rate is not given, as this will vary with temperature, humidity, equipment and line pressure. Test spray a small area and adjust as necessary. Full gloss finish 30-35 psi, lower gloss 20-25 psi. Lacquer thinner may be used for clean up. A disposable air filter must be installed directly on your spray gun in addition to any other filters or traps in the air supply system. POR-15 is moisture sensitive and even minute amounts of moisture will cause failure of the paint before it has cured. These filters are available from your POR-15 supplier.
A minimum of two thin coats (1-2 mil) is to be applied with approximately 4-5 hours between coats. This will vary depending on humidity levels. POR-15 will dry faster at high humidity, but normal humidity is the desired condition. When the first coat is tacky, but will not transfer paint to your finger when touched, the second coat should be applied. Follow the same procedure when top coating with other paints or body fillers. If the second coat is applied too soon, bubbles will form as the base coat releases carbon dioxide in the drying process. If the second coat is applied too late it will not adhere because of the slick surface and will peel.
4. POR-15 is UV sensitive. The chemical that gives paint it's ultra-violet protection causes a slight weakness in paint and it is for this reason it is not present in Por-15. If the painted surface is in direct exposure to the sun it must be top coated to retain its finish. You may use any type or solvent base of paint or fillers, except a clear to achieve this. The usual result of an unprotected finish exposed to the sun is a complete loss of color with no return of oxidation. Ask your Por-15 distributor or dealer for information on our extensive line of incredibly tough, UV protected finish coatings.
Safety Considerations: POR-15 contains isocyanates. Because of this you must take the necessary precautions to avoid the inhaling of the paint fumes. When spraying POR-15 in an enclosed area, the use of an outside air source system is required. When brushing, you will create fewer fumes but still must insure adequate ventilation. Keep out of reach of children and pets, etc. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. MSDS sheet available upon request.
Other Helpful Hints: POR-l5 is moisture sensitive and should therefore be exposed to moisture as little as possible. Stir paint gently and transfer to a separate container for brushing. Immediately return lid to can. Add paint as needed to separate container until finished. Do not return unused portion of paint to can, as this will drastically shorten the shelf life of the remaining print. You may brush directly from the can if you will be using the whole contents of the can. POR-l5 should be kept in a cool place after being opened and may be refrigerated. Always allow paint and articles to be painted to adjust to room temperature before use. Failing to do so will result in air bubbles forming on the surface of the paint. This is due to very high moisture levels. Once paint has dried on any surface, including your hands, only time will remove it. Do not attempt to remove it with solvents or other chemicals as it will not work and will only irritate your skin. The wearing of gloves and long sleeves is highly recommended. POR-l5 is available in gloss and semi-gloss black, gray, silver and clear. Black is used when a high gloss finish is desired and semi gloss when a satin finish is called for. Please note that semi gloss black was not designed as a cosmetic finish and will therefore not always leave a uniform level of finish. Surfaces requiring a perfect semi gloss finish should be top coated with Chassis Coat Black. Gray is used in the industrial market, and also on concrete floors and walls for an indestructible finish far superior to existing specialty paints and products. Silver is the strongest of the colors because of it's metal content and is therefore recommended in cases of extreme corrosion where pinholes may have formed and therefore weakened the metal. It is also used to seal leaking fuel tanks, oil pans, and drums and is far stronger than a typical fiberglass repair when used with our Powermesh Reinforcing Fabric. POR-l5 products do not contain styrene and may be safely applied over factory fiberglass. Clear can be used under body filler or where it is not desirable to loose light reflection such as below deck on a boat. The application of POR-l5 Clear on wood will result in a 100% waterproof finish, which will offer far superior protection at a much lower cost and higher convenience when compared to marine plywood. For further information or to order product please contact your POR-15 Distributor.